Like everything about Amazon, its commitment to accessibility is big. Because there is so much to know, we decided to make it the subject of this Accessibility Resource session for people with vision loss. You may be familiar with font and screen settings for Kindle, or voice assistance from Alexa; but did you know about Accessibility Support for shopping, or the VoiceView screen reader in Kindle’s and Fire tablets. And there’s more.
Here is a rundown of vision accessibility options available in Amazon’s products and services.
Shopping Made Easier
Amazon recommends its mobile site for improved access visually or with screen readers. Optimized for mobile devices, this site offers a much cleaner, less cluttered interface which simplifies navigation. They also added an Accessibility Support Phone for retail, a personal shopper will help you find the products you want and put them in your cart, then you just have to click to place your order. You can also ask Alexa to find products or reorder items.
- Go To Amazon Mobile Site: amazon.com/access
- Contact Accessibility Support / Personal Shopper: 888-283-1678
The streaming media player connects your TV to the internet and allow you to access channels and apps. Ask Alexa to turn on the TV, dim the lights, and play “Stranger Things.”
- Alexa – voice access
- VoiceView – screen reader
- Screen Magnifier – zoom in for closer look
- High Contrast Text – white on black with a border
- Audio Description – on movies & TV
More at: All New Fire TV
- Alexa – voice access video, books, apps
- Screen Magnifier – pinch to zoom
- Large Font Mode – increase font size on menus and text, emails, books
- Kindle App – adjust font (11 sizes) background color, brightness and margin
- VoiceView – screen reader with onscreen tutorial
- Explore by Touch – gestures and shortcuts
- Braille Support
- Help – accessibility user guide
- Technical support with remote access
More at: All New Tablets
- Customize font size, style and weight
- Invert background color to black with white text
- Control screen brightness
- Select themes including line spacing and margins
- Glare-free screens
- VoiceView screenreader (external for Paperwhite)
More at: All New Kindles
- What are your skills?
- What time is it?
- What is the weather?
- Turn on TV, lights, appliances.
- Read my Kindle or Audible book.
- Play a podcast.
- Play a game.
- Check spelling, grammar and definitions.
More about: What Alexa Can Do
More on Amazon at: Amazon Accessibility
Amazon Support Phone Lines
Customer service and technical support are very good and the new Accessibility Support (primarily for retail purchases) will connect to any other specialists you may need to access. All are well versed in accessibility features for specific devices.
Accessibility / Personal Shopper: 888-283-1678
Kindle & Fire: 866-321-8851
Amazon Books Store
Amazon takes a new physical form, at their store in NYC, they will set up your device with an emphasis on accessibility and show you how to use it.
7 West 34 Street (across from Empire State Building)
New York City 10001
More at: Amazon Store NYC