Image shows beautiful older couple enjoying a walk in summer greenery.
Health & Well-Being

Advancing AMD Awareness

Feb 5, 2021

Advancing AMD Awareness

Once upon a time, not so long ago, people believed that age-related macular degeneration caused total blindness. Today we know better. AMD affects people over age 50, resulting in a blurring of the sharp central vision used for reading, driving, identifying faces, and other detail oriented tasks. The peripheral vision is not affected and can be helpful in compensating. The dry form of AMD accounts for about 90% of cases, marked by slowly progressing changes. The remaining 10% have the wet form which causes more aggressive vision loss due to leaking blood vessels behind the eye. Treatment is available and effective in managing wet AMD.  Patients are able to continue a productive and independent life with the active implementation of small changes and the embrace of technology.

Here is a collection of OE’s recent and most popular content on the subject, in recognition of AMD Awareness Month – February 2021.

Closeup of elderly woman’s eye

What Is AMD?

An explanation of age-related macular degeneration, thorough and well presented for review as an informative introduction or to refresh your knowledge. Read Now

 

Image of the logo for The Retina Counselor.

Image of the logo for The Retina Counselor.

Emerging Treatments For AMD

A primer on clinical trials in the process for the next generation treatment and management of wet and dry age-related macular degeneration with an emphasis on more efficient and convenient patient care. Read Now

 

OE Patients Podcast in white text with magenta and white OE Patients logo.

OE Patients Podcast in white text with magenta and white OE Patients logo.

Episode 14: The Retina Counselor

Listen in as Dr. Mrinali Gupta discusses the future of AMD treatments and how patients can best utilize the Retina Counselor report. Listen Now

 

Fresh vegetables and fruits spread out on a gray table.

The Anti-AMD Diet

This is one of OE Patients most popular articles. Improving nutrition habits through small dietary changes has been found to prevent and slow the development of AMD. Read Now

 

Older woman using digital tablet outdoors

Living Better With AMD

Patients should be to be well informed that although there may be no medical treatments available yet, for their AMD, it most certainly does not mean “nothing can be done.” Read this article for five ways to take action. Read Now

 

Dahlov Ipcar "Sunlight in Forest Glade" (unfinished, 2015)

Dahlov Ipcar “Sunlight in Forest Glade” (unfinished, 2015)

Artists Work Through Macular Degeneration

If you think AMD is a career-ending diagnosis for a visual artist, this article will change your thinking. These artists continued to thrive, despite vision loss, and you can too! Read Now

 

Three generations of a family sitting on a park bench.

Hope For Age-Related Macular Degeneration

Progress with age-related macular degeneration shows a promising hope for the future. Read Here for what you need to know and what you can expect. Read Now

For comments, questions or feedback, email us, or connect on Facebook or Twitter. We would love to hear from you!


About the Author: Dorrie Rush

Dorrie Rush is the Chief Content Officer and Visual Accessibility Expert at Ophthalmic Edge Patients (OE Patients), an online resource, presented by the Association for Macular Diseases, providing practical information and empowering advice for living a full and successful life with vision loss.

She is the former Director of the Grunwald Technology Center and Information Resource Service at Lighthouse International 2001 to 2016. Dorrie is known to have an eccentric view, which is particularly useful in compensating for her central vision loss from Stargardt Disease.

STAY POSTED

SUBSCRIBE TO TIPS FOR LIVING WELL WITH VISION LOSS

Copyright © 2021 Ophthalmic Edge LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Website by Kairos Design